ASCC Olivia Widjaja accepted into UNSW program

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 6.25.15 PM

A Liverpool student plans to turn her love of science and mathematics into a career and remove the stigma around gender stereotyping in the workplace.

Olivia Widjaja, a year 10 student All Saints Catholic College, was selected by the University of New South Wales to participate in a civil and environmental engineering work experience program this month.

Olivia said she hoped the program would cement her dream of becoming an aerospace engineer.

“I love physics and how you can use numbers to explain types of concepts,” she said. “I was really surprised to get into the program.”

The program will allow Olivia to experience engineering projects across six areas of the civil and environmental engineering fields first-hand.

I love physics and how you can use numbers to explain types of concepts. I know this is a male-dominated occupation… but I hope to change that.– Olivia Widjaja

This includes coastal and port infrastructure; structures and design; construction and project management; water, wastewater and the environment; road, transport and geotechnical engineering; and surveying and geospatial engineering.

“A group of year 10 students were chosen for the program and basically they will go to places such as Cronulla Beach, Four Points Hotel and the Sydney Opera House,” she said.

“And we will look at the different aspects involving civil and environmental engineering. I applied for it because I am really into engineering.

“While civil and environmental is not really up my alley, I still think it would be a good opportunity.”

Olivia said she was driven to get a career in engineering to remove the stigma around women in the workplace.

“I know this is a male-dominated occupation… but I hope to change that,” she said.

“Most of the engineers you see are males but I hope to see more women following this as a career.”

All Saints Catholic College leader of wellbeing co-ordinator, Sue Foxcroft said: “Olivia is a highly motivated student who excels at both mathematics and science; she will drive an enormous benefit by being involved in such a program.”

The program will run from June 20 -24.

%d bloggers like this: